Monday, February 23, 2009

Getting started

So, I received the plans for "Miranda" (aka Brothers' Mischief) in late January. I had begun the perusal and detail reading of the vast majority of boatbuidling books (i.e. Gardner, Rossel, Payson, Steward, etc.) especially the sections dedicated to laying out.

I've cleaned out the garage (aka building space).I'm glad that I'm reading numerous texts on layout/lofting. I've skim read Gardner, Rossel, and Chappelle none mentioned (or at least I didn't catch it) minusing the thickness of scantlings in figuring out the proper dimensions for the forms. To some this may seem obvious but I'm glad I read about it prior to starting the actual work.

Brothers' Mischief will be a lifeboat dinghy for a much bigger liveaboard boat. At this point I am planning to build the bigger boat. At this point it will likely be a MacNaughton design from the Coin Collection design series. More later on the name Brothers' Mischief (hint: it is a reference to one of my favorite books that also has a huge nautical theme).

No comments:

Post a Comment